A beginners' question

Hi Guys,

I’ve been using FreePBX for about a week now and it is perfect. However, I have this question and I hope someone here can help me with this one. I’ve been tinkering with caller ID lookup source and as far as I know this is only usable for inbound routes. My question is, Is it possible to use Caller ID lookup sources for extension to extension use? For example, I have fixed extension numbers ex. 100, 101, 102 etc, But the username linked to these extensions might change from time to time, Im planning to use a MYSQL database for the lookup sources but for internal calls only. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advanced

Why not change the name on the extension? I think that’s the right way to do it.

2 Likes

Hi Pitzkey,

Im planning to develop a simple VB6 application that can connect thru mysql Database and change the name on the extension without logging into the the freepbx GUI

Nope - that won’t be sufficient. You will need to update the ASTDB and the MySQL database for this to have any hope of working, and even then the likelihood is that there are going to be more steps that you need to undertake.

Why wouldn’t you set the name in the Endpoint configuration page? You’re making this harder than it has to be. If you’re flipping users too fast to bother the 45 seconds or so it takes to rename an extension, maybe you could assign the user name by role or location or something else that tells you what ext. is calling that wouldn’t change frequently (e.g. “Kitchen” or “Shop” or whatever)?

If your endpoints aren’t Polycom SP IP550’s the phone will display what FreePBX sends it. If they are IP550s or IP335s, browse to the phones IP address & go to Utilities->Line Key Configuration where anything you list will override whatever FreePBX sends you. (Tip: blank out this list & let FreePBX do the heavy lifting – it’s infinitely easier to manage!)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.