911 Outpulsed Caller ID Number

I have two buildings, about 10 minutes apart, that share the same phone system and SIP trunk. One is large with about 70 phones and the other very small with only 2 phones.

Our telco set us up with a SIP trial when I was getting the phones ready to use. There was one DID with this, which was used to register with the SIP server. I realized during installation that since the phones at both locations share the same SIP trunk to the outside world, the addresses coming into 911 would all be the same - that of our main building. Thought of a solution rather fast though - simply re-use the DID from our SIP trial (ending in 1060) and have the phones at the remote site send this as their caller ID. All the rest of the phones at the main site would send our primary phone number ending in 4411. (Iā€™m going to use these 4-digit numbers throughout the rest of this message for brevity & privacy; I have the full 10-digit DID in the system itself.)

Unfortunately, things have not worked as smoothly as planned, which you probably already know given that Iā€™m posting in the forums about it. :wink:

If I make test calls to my cell phone from our main site, the caller ID comes through correctly with 4411. If I call my cell from the remote site, it comes through with the 1060 number. Everything is working perfectly! I place a test call to 911 ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ and they get 1060 no matter which site I call from.

The engineer at the SIP provider assures me that they send out whatever caller ID is sent by the PBX to 911 as long as that number is on our account, which both are. I have set 4411 in both the default route and the outbound route for 911, at the extension level as the caller ID, and as the emergency caller ID in the extension. It works for non-emergency calls, but doesnā€™t matter for emergency calls though - they still only receive 1060 as the caller ID no matter what I do. The telco engineer found the SIP session of my latest test call to 911 and sure enough, it shows 1060 in the FROM field, even though itā€™s set to be 4411 in all these locations.

Iā€™m really at a loss of what to do next. All I really need is to get every phone in the system to outpulse 4411 to 911 except for 2 that would outpulse 1060, exactly the same as they do for calls to a cell phone. Itā€™s kind of important to get this functional as if thereā€™s an emergency at the remote site, we donā€™t want them coming to the main site first.

What do your outbound routes look like? Do you have any regency routes? Also, do you have the routing module? I would highly recommend it. Itā€™s inexpensive and will make this much was.

-Daniel

You might see if you have control over the ANI presented when in an emergency call.

Create an Outbound Route dedicated for emergency dialing with the ā€˜Emergencyā€™ option enabled. Define your dial pattern(s) and make the route first in out list. Any calls that use this route will use the Emergency CID set on the Advanced tab for the extension if you have one set.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys.

I have 3 outbound routes, creatively named ā€˜Emergencyā€™, ā€˜Defaultā€™, and ā€˜Pagerā€™, in that order. The emergency flag is set on the Emergency route only - it is the only flag set on any route. The Route CID field in the Emergency route is set to <4411> and the emergency caller ID for the extension is also set to <4411>.

I do not know what the routing module is @nortelvoip ā€¦ itā€™s not in my fwconsole ma list output. The system is a PBXact distro, so I should have most modules if Iā€™m not mistaken. (Currently stuck on version 13 as we bought HA & it does not yet work with anything more recent.)

The telco engineer is supposed to be calling me shortly - Iā€™ll ask him if we have the ability to control the ANI @dicko

Thatā€™s what I did @lgaetz ā€¦ used the dial pattern wizard & it generated 911, 1+911, 9+911, & 91+911 for dial patterns.

The CID for an outbound connection is always your dialable number, so Iā€™m reasonably sure that this doesnā€™t sound right. The Caller ID should be set to whatever the phone number is for that location. It should also be a complete CID, so it should look like {<1231234411> ā€œMy Name Goes Hereā€}.

When you send out a Caller ID, it is made up of two parts: DNIS and ANI. The DNIS is the number part that identified your location. The ANI (the text part of the Caller ID) should be set with the information your 911 operator is expected to see for your specific locations.

So, step 1 is to make sure that your Emergency CID field is set correctly. The main one (on the trunk) should identify where your server is. The Emergency Caller ID fields (on the extensions) need to be set to the phone numbers and locations of the buildings where the extensions are. Once again, the format is important and even if the DNIS is the same everywhere (which will depend on your local emergency calling conventions) the ANI part should identify where the phone is. The Emergency Route will automatically pick up the Emergency CID information.

Step 2 is to make sure that they work. Every market should have a 911 ā€˜testā€™ number you can call to test our the DNIS and ANI information so that the 911 responders know where to go.

Thatā€™s because thatā€™s what gets used in many places in the world. If you dial something else for emergency phone calling (which is common enough), you need to include that number in the dial pattern. Using all of those ā€œvariantsā€ may or may not make sense in your current implementation. So, for example, if your people dial ā€œ9ā€ for an outside line and you use ā€˜911ā€™ to dial EMS, youā€™ll want ā€˜911ā€™ and ā€˜9911ā€™ to be your emergency calling matching pattern numbers. The ā€œ1911ā€ variant and ā€˜91911ā€™ are there for safety - people panic in the weirdest ways sometimes.

So, in addition to the outbound routes, youā€™ll also need to make sure the trunks are set up to handle your 911 calls. For example, you may need to update the dialed number matching patterns on the trunks for 911 calls as well, if you are using any kind of outbound trunk matching.

Do I need the curly braces when entering the caller ID @cynjut or are those there just to denote the start/end of the field? (I have the caller ID set to the full 10-digit dial of our main buildingā€™s number, just used the last 4 as shorthand & to protect our privacy as stated in my original message.) I have no textual component to it, only <#######4411> in the field; itā€™s very good to know that I should have more information in the emergency caller ID field & will add that in.

Iā€™ve never heard of a ā€˜test numberā€™ for 911ā€¦ Iā€™ll ask the engineer when I speak with him. Really hope we have one - I hate calling 911 & telling them itā€™s not an emergency and just a test call, especially when everything Iā€™ve tried so far hasnā€™t worked.

No.

The format for a Caller ID is:

<1231234411> "Name with spaces"  or
    "NAME GOES HERE" <1231234411>

The GT and LT are required and the quotation marks are almost always required. Letā€™s just say ā€œalwaysā€ to avoid confusion.

Local rules dictate when an alternate is available. With the adoption of E911 rules last year, a test number became a really important feature, especially since most of us donā€™t believe something is working until itā€™s been tested.

Hi All,

Iā€™m the telco engineer that OP speaks of. We are set on our side to ā€˜use user phone numberā€™ for both external calls and emergency calls, the settings are the same for both outbound routes on our side.

OP, I just tried calling you, but got your voicemail. Iā€™d like to review your config and see if we can resolve the trouble with the help of the fine folks on this site. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to troubleshoot. It sounds like the system isnā€™t matching with your outbound route and defaulting to the Pilot User which is used for registration as its calling line identity. If we get stuck, Iā€™d be happy to provide captures of what weā€™re receiving on our side to help get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

AO

OP, I may have found the issue. Can you re-test and see if it has resolved?

The setting you changed did fix the issue - thank you Alex.

Alex - please give us a hint so we know where to look if this comes up again.

Issue was in our BroadSoft back-end. If you ever come across this issue where the number used for registration is being outpulsed to 911, check with your provider with regards to Pilot Number Usage Policies. In this instance, there was a special ā€˜ruleā€™ our provisioning team mistakenly put in that inserted the pilot number just for emergency calls.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.