2nd agent in Queue of 2 agents only rings one time

I updated the queue to linear and issued: fwconsole restart with no luck. The queue does ring Ext 204 for 4 rings, but 203 only 1x. No joy.

Any other suggestions?

One last thing, try creating a queue with the same config, make sure that linear is set during creation. You can call the queue from any internal phone to test.

There’s a piece of this that I think is missed. The queue times out after 19 seconds. The first phone rings for 15 seconds, the second rings for 4. That means that the first phone should ring three to four times and the second phone should ring once.

Based on what you keep reporting, I’m unclear why you think something isn’t working right. When I looked at the logs, it appears that the queue is working precisely as it should. Remember, queues are their own thing. This isn’t a ring-group (which just rings phones), this is an active call management component. The fact that phones are ringing is a cool (and arguably necessary) side-effect.

OK, maybe I’m confused, but my other queue’s are working correctly with these types of settings. In my assumption, the Max Wait Time is the total time the caller can flow in the queue until we process them to the fail over destination. The Agent Timeout is how long the agent rings until the queue gives up and try’s the next agent. The Retry is how long we wait before we try the list again barring we haven’t exceeded Max Wait Time. Is this incorrect?

Based on the above understanding my settings are:

max wait time: 1 minute
agent timeout: 19 seconds
retry: 3 seconds

Logic:

I want the caller to wait no more than 1 minute in the queue. I want to process the calls in a linear fashion between 2 agents. I want the agents to ring about 4 rings each in succession until I reach 1 minute. If the call hasn’t been answered it will failover to voicemail.

Am I misunderstanding?

I don’t know if you’re misunderstanding, but given your desires, I wouldn’t be ringing the phones one at a time. Put all of your “not busy” agents (skip-busy) and ring the phones. If none of them pick it up within 20 seconds, send it to VM.

Your customers are much more patient than mine - if the calls aren’t answered within the first four rings, we lose a sale. Leaving a caller on the line for 20 rings is a sure way to not have them call back.

If, on the other hand, they are sitting on an “on hold” style queue (listening to your hold music, getting position updates), most people are willing to hang on. The ring policy at that point is moot, as is this method you are using. If you have two agents, have both phones ring. If only one is available, the other will have to get it. If none are available, VoiceMail is a reasonable destination.

First off, thank you for taking your time to help me troubleshoot this issue!!! However, Per client desires they want the first agent to ring first. If and only if that agent doesn’t pick up, try the next agent. I thought this was the purpose of the Linear ring strategy…?

At any rate, based upon the current configuration, shouldn’t the config I have do what I’m expecting? Or do you see that there is a config problem?

Again, thank you each.

Have you created a new queue with the linear strategy as the default?

I have, but will humbly do it again.

OK, seems like we may have a bug. I created a new queue, set the Ring Strategy to Linear, and left the Max Wait Time, Agent Timeout and Retry at defaults. This setup rang each extension 2 sets of 3 times, then to voicemail.

I then extended the Agent timeout to 19 seconds (they want 4 rings each), and we came back to our initial problem. The first agent rings 4 times, agent 2 rings 1x.

Does this sound like a bug or a conflicting agent/extension timer in some other file, setting, or location?

What version of Asterisk are you on?

Asterisk 13.22.0

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.