2012-Oct 12 - Failed to get engine_info retreive_conf

I have installed an Eeepc 4G with Debian around 3 years before, extensions are softphones, Siemens 470-IP and variants
All I remember is that it was not so easy because I had to compile everything
This system is only for family use as I am living in Paris and Brussels with kids studying in Netherlands and China, issues are not critical.
Asterisk 1.6.0.10
FreePBX 2.6.0
SSH / SFTP running
It worked without a problem until a few days ago when GUI interface went hanging
I discovered that the disk was full and so I have deleted some log files
The interface was apparently working again as it was displaying everything without messages.
Phones were also working and even when the disk was full

But I tried to add a new extension and when applying configuration change everything stopped :
We can navigate in the GUI but in FreePBX system status :
Asterisk RED = error
CPU = 100%
Memory 17% unchanged OK
Disk 54% unchanged Ok
Extensions and trunks are not registered.
applying configuration change gave these messages
Checking for PEAR DB…OK
Checking for PEAR Console::Getopt…OK
Checking for /etc/amportal.conf …OK
Bootstrapping /etc/amportal.conf …OK
Parsing /etc/amportal.conf …OK
Parsing /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf …OK
Connecting to database…OK
Connecting to Asterisk manager interface…OK
[FATAL] Failed to get engine_info retreive_conf failed to get engine information and cannot configure up a softwitch with out it. Error: ERROR-UNABLE-TO-PARSE
1 error(s) occurred, you should view the notification log on the dashboard or main screen to check for more details.
In FreePBX notice we have :
• retrieve_conf failed, config not applied

Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1
Added 18 minutes ago
(freepbx.RCONFFAIL)
• Failed to get engine_info

retreive_conf failed to get engine information and cannot configure up a softwitch with out it. Error: ERROR-UNABLE-TO-PARSE
Added 18 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.FATAL)

When trying to restore the system thru the GUI it doesn’t end (ps aux shows some new process which never finish)
When trying a new backup : same
Thru the GUI Asterisk CLI doesn’t work (for example : No such command ‘sip show peers’) but LOGGER ROTATE works

I restored manually the database and conf files of a previous backup : nothing changed