1.817.210.58-1 to 6.12 upgrade procedure?

What is the recommended procedure for migrating from 1.817.210.58-1 to the current 6.12 distro?

1.8 can not be upgraded into 2.x so therefore it can’t be upgraded into 6.12. This is because CentOS at the time did not provide an upgrade script from 5.8 to 6.0.

Hi Andrew-

Thanks. I understand that there is no direct upgrade path. I think from past discussion that making a backup of the 1.8 system, installing 6.12 (ideally on a different disk), and restoring the backup was the only option. I’m fine with that, but want to know if there are any gotchas or other issues involved. Last time I did a backup/restore on this system it did not go well.

Thank you.

Any advice here? Whitepaper, FAQ, etc? What is the official, supported method to get from 1.8 to 6.x?

Bummed to have gotten no direction on this from Sangoma :frowning:

In case anyone else is wondering, simply restoring a 1.8 backup to a fresh 5.211.65-21 install does not work. I went around in circles with module issues and symlink errors for hours last night before throwing in the towel.

Among other things:

• Since we’re using OSS EPM, that has to be installed on the 5.211 system before doing the restore, otherwise the table is overwritten.
  • After the initial restore the phones registered, but after a reboot they wouldn’t and I never got them fixed.
  • I never got DAHDI working. I didn’t notice until too late that it was disable on the clean install and enabling it overwrote the restored config.
  • Initial symlink errors:
    retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
    /etc/asterisk/logger.conf from logfiles/etc (Already exists, linked to something else)
    /etc/asterisk/rtp.conf from core/etc (Already exists, not a link)
  • Per info I found here, I renamed those files, but after that the phones wouldn’t register and several sections were missing from various pages in the GUI.
  • After that an amportal restart generated these errors:
    SETTING FILE PERMISSIONS
    chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink /var/lib/asterisk/bin/ampbackup.php' chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink/var/lib/asterisk/bin/callerid’
    chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink /var/lib/asterisk/bin/caller_updater.php' chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink/var/lib/asterisk/bin/dumpastdb.php’
    chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink /var/lib/asterisk/bin/fax-localstore.php' chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink/var/lib/asterisk/bin/fax-process.pl’
    chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink /var/lib/asterisk/bin/fax-send.php' chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink/var/lib/asterisk/bin/fax-updatestatus.php’
    chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink `/var/lib/asterisk/bin/restoreastdb.php’

I removed the dangling symlinks, but the phones still wouldn’t register, that’s when I found the DAHDI issue, and it was late and I had a three hour drive home. I gave up.

Please, please, provide some basic instructions for getting older systems onto more current, supported versions. Reconfiguring everything from scratch and having people lose their recordings and voicemails is just not an option.