What is the current status on Device & User mode?

The current wiki says Device & User mode is quite under development. We would like to “hot desk” and I would really like to bounce between a comfy desk phone and my mobile with a SIP client.

Is Device & User mode baked out yet? We’re moderately skilled in FreePBX and Asterisk.

Device and User Mode should always be considered broken.
It is not supported and causes quirks. You can still use it if you have a burning desire but it may not be worth the headache.

In reality All of FreePBX is technically device and user. That is how the “plumbing works” The Device and user mode simply exposes some of the “plumbing” to the front end…

Okay all of that out of the way with Asterisk 12/13 you have the PJSIP option that offers the ability for multiple registrations.

Don’t take this to the bank, but I believe I heard some mumbling of hot desking stuff on the Radar for future releases.

For your use though I think the PJSIP stuff is what you really want. If you want to do it prior to FreePBX 12 you can also use the follow me module.

1 Like

Or you can just use find me follow me.

Example:

Main Extension 1000
Bria Sip Client 2000

Find me follow me setup to dial 1000 & 2000 when 1000 is dialed. Change the cid on 2000 to be 1000 so that when you call out it will say 1000.

1 Like

These are good responses for us. We’ll keep Device & User mode off our plans for a while. Thanks.