Voicemail Reload required for UCP-Voicemail Settings-Email Address changes to apply

Changing the Email Address setting from the UCP Voicemail Settings page requires a Voicemail Reload in order for the settings to apply. After the reload, the settings that have been made via the UCP work great. This is true for adding, changing, or removing an email address. Any suggestions?

We are currently fully patched on all modules. Running FreePBX 12.0.32, Voicemail module 12.0.27, and Asterisk 13.0.0.

Hello,
Could you please let me know if you are able to delete the voice mails from the UCP interface ?
I am running Freepbx 12.0.34 , asterisk 12.8.0-rc2 , ucp 12.0.0beta46, webrtcphone 12.0.0beta13.
When I issue the command to delete a voice mail, it reacts normally however the voice mail remain on the screen.

Thank you.

Yes. I just tested this, and we are able to delete the voicemails from the UCP interface. I also confirmed the same module versions except for we are using asterisk 13.

Was the voicemail actually deleted and the browser interface not updated? Maybe try testing the behavior with different web browsers.

Hello,
The same task was performed with Firefox and Chrome latest version.
The only way to delete the voice mail is via the *97 from the phone else nothing gets deleted.
Unfortunately the Asterisk 13 is not good in my case as I do have several Grandstream GXV3175 that are causing the asterisk to crash once there is an attempt to establish a call. Ast 12 was my only choice.

I would setup a simple test and then look at the log files.

Look in /var/log/httpd/access_log for the following:
“GET /ucp/?quietmode=1&module=voicemail&command=listen&msgid=…” this is logged when you listen to a voice message.

“POST /ucp/index.php?quietmode=1&module=voicemail&command=delete…” this is logged when you delete a voice message.

Then there’s the /var/log/httpd/error_log where all the web server errors are logged.

And then the /var/log/asterisk/freepbx.log also logs PHP and other FreePBX specific errors.

The /var/log/asterisk/full will not be useful for the UCP, but you should be able to trace the *97 access to voicemail. Look for “Playing ‘vm-deleted.ulaw’” which is logged when a voice message is deleted.

Hello,

Thank you for the support.
I have checked the access_log both the Get and POST entries exist.
Error_log does not have any entry listed.
Freepbx.log has the following error:
[2015-Jan-30 17:27:23] [PHP-WARNING] (/var/www/html/admin/modules/voicemail/Voicemail.class.php:242) - unlink(/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/6004/INBOX/msg0000.WAV): Permission denied

The line 242 of Voicemail.class.php has the following statement: if(!unlink($filename)) {

Surprisingly the voicemail manager is creating the folders in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default ((for owner root))

I changed the ownership to asterisk and yes I am able to delete the voicemail message from the UCP now.

Knowing the root cause of the issue, how can we fix it ? i.e future voicemail boxes will be created with ownership root

A big thank you, for the help rendered …

Run a “top” command and see what USER the asterisk service is running as. If the USER is root, then run an “amportal restart” command. This will restart the asterisk service in the proper manner (just note that any active calls will be abruptly ended). Now check the USER again using the “top” command.

I did a top command, saw asterisk but could not define what privileges it had. anyway amportal restart was also performed.
My issue now is that if I try to enable voice mail on any extension I see in the voicemail administration : next to the extension number (default)[unactivated]
in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/device (I notice red sign next to the shortcut)
in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default (there is no folder created to the new voice mail extension)

Should I copy an existing voicemail folder and name it after the newly enabled extension inside (/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default) then it works.

The only change I made is the ownership of the folders inside the (/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/) what could be causing this problem ?

So it sounds like the original problem is fixed. Making progress.

I’ll have to test creating a new extension with voicemail enabled, but I think what you are seeing is normal until you access the voicemail for the first time and run through the setup. Give it a try and see if the folders are created.

Indeed we are.
In the meantime I did a restore from an earlier snapshot of my machine, basically before we started tackling the problem.
To confirm that your solution is excellent (with 2 issues still pending)

1. My folders were under the root ownership, the moment I did amportal restart. Those folders were automatically put under asterisk ownership.
  2. Now I can delete voice mail from UCP and also I can listen to my voicemails from the UCP (earlier it was not possible)
  3. Enabled the voice mail for a new extension, it displayed [unactivated]
  4. Accessed the newly created voicemail from my phone by dialing *97. folders immediately got created and now the message {unactivated] is no longer there.
  5. I rebooted my machine, enabled another extension voicemail. but this time I called that extension and left a voice mail
    instead of trying to access its voicemail. It worked and could see the folders created. However the folder was created with root ownership.

I have now 2 issues :
Running amportal restart is fixing the voicemail folder ownership problem. This is an issue as it seems that asterisk is always running as root. how can I fix that ?
Second issue my extension in webrtc (UCP) is now only ringing one time before going directly to voicemail, worth than that even if I disable the voice mail it only rings one time and disconnects.
Prior to running amportal restart for the first time (on the freshly restored snapshot) I did not have this issue.
Other than webrtc extensions it is behaving normally according to the ring time value set for that extension.

Thank you once again for taking the time to assist me with this problem.

Post the outpuit from bash of

ps uax|grep asterisk

root 1389 5.0 1.9 117696 40840 ? Ssl 21:31 1:00 /usr/sbin/asterisk
asterisk 1728 0.0 0.2 110928 5320 ? S 21:31 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1731 0.0 0.6 115420 12776 ? S 21:31 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1732 0.0 0.6 116164 13696 ? S 21:31 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1733 0.0 0.2 110928 5320 ? S 21:31 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1734 0.0 0.6 116420 13916 ? S 21:31 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1876 0.0 0.2 110928 5320 ? S 21:31 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
root 3229 0.0 0.0 3780 664 pts/0 S+ 21:50 0:00 grep --color=auto asterisk

Then you are running asterisk as root and your webserver as asterisk, so root will be the owner of asterisk generate voicemails et al. and asterisk as the ones done by apache, you should probably be running asterisk as the user asterisk. How did you install asterisk/freepbx ?

SSH as root then sudo for compile and make.
My card is an ARM based board with ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Then edit

/etc/default/asterisk

appropriately and restart asterisk

I did uncomment the following:
AST_USER="asterisk"
AST_GROUP=“asterisk”

The output of ps uax|grep asterisk :
asterisk 1396 10.9 1.9 117960 40680 ? Ssl 22:08 0:17 /usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk
asterisk 1804 0.4 0.9 112308 18804 ? S 22:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1805 0.0 0.7 111192 16176 ? S 22:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1806 0.2 0.8 111284 17404 ? S 22:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1807 0.0 0.2 110928 5312 ? S 22:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
asterisk 1808 0.0 0.2 110928 5324 ? S 22:08 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
root 2210 0.0 0.0 3780 664 pts/1 S+ 22:11 0:00 grep --color=auto asterisk

Then it will probably be working correctly now.

Yes thank you , new voicemail folders are now created with ownership asterisk.
Still the problem of WEBRTC extensions that having the problem of one ring only then goes to voicemail.

That would be one for the Shmooze dudes to answer.

Thank you anyway for your help, well appreciated.