Using T1 for dial tone for FreePBX

Dave,

I have to look again, but I believe there is an AdTran box that has the 6 voice lines terminated on a 66 block. I think the 6 lines go into the Phone system. The current phone system is a Samsung Office Serv 100 and there are two Amphenol connections inside that come out and are terminated on 66 blocks for the extensions. There is another set of 66 blocks that are punched down to the phones in the building via Cat5e. The two sets of 66 blocks are cross connected using typical twisted pairs, making the extension connections.

We have separate Internet for all of our data. It is provided by our local Internet company and is a cable modem connection.

Does this help? I would love to run the current phone system for the main school and take the applicable lines from the T1 to the Asterisk or FreePBX (whatever I decide) and use that as my experiment. The cyber school department is less critical than the main school for voice.

Sorry, I’m trying to get a better understanding of how this works. Do you recommend eventially ditching the T1 for something else that is more easily adapted to VOIP while still being able to satisfy our current digital phone system (Samsung Office Serv 100)?

Thank you!