Upgrading Asterisk 11 on FreePBX Distro

Hi all,
I recently installed FreePBX-5.211.65-14-i386-Full-1402766879.iso distro on VirtualBox. Now I want to upgrade Asterisk to the currently latest version 11.11.0. For that purpose, after backing up the /usr/lib/asterisk/modules and emptying it, tried to build Asterisk from the source. However getting the following continuous error at Asterisk startup

/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 159:  6756 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) nice -n $PRIORITY ${ASTSBINDIR}/asterisk -f ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} > /dev/${TTY} 2>&1 < /dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 132
Asterisk exited on signal 4.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.

Hardware is not so old

[root@localhost asterisk-11.11.0]#  cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 58
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3267.642
cache size      : 6144 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 rdtscp constant_tsc up pni monitor ssse3
bogomips        : 6535.28
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

So my question, how can we upgrade Asterisk 11? What are the steps to follow?
If building from the source code is only way to go, at where we need to be careful in process?

Regards.

Not sure but FreePBX Distro uses a ā€œSchmooze (patched) versionā€ of Asterisk which may differs from ā€œstockā€ Asterisk: as example FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-14 actually provides Asterisk 11.10.2 (exactly 11.10.2-1 for SHMZ OS 6.5 which is the underlying OS of the FreePBX Distro distribution) and if you test (just testā€¦) a yum upgrade a new built of Asterisk 11.10.2 (exactly 11.10.2-2 for SHMZ OS 6.5) could be available soon (maybe for the next release of FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-15, if any).

In other terms looking at the Changelogs of asterisk11-core RPM package provided for SHMZ OS:

==================== Installed Packages ====================
asterisk11-core-11.10.2-1.shmz65.1.7.x86 installed

• New SHMZ common build system

==================== Available Packages ====================
asterisk11-core-11.10.2-2.shmz65.1.8.x86 pbx

may suggests you that a manual upgrade of Asterisk 11 would be difficult (may I be wrong, step in and correct me if so) compared to what could be done using a stock Asterisk 11 (as example, from Source).

Not sure but FreePBX Distro uses a ā€œSchmooze (patched) versionā€ of Asterisk which may differs from ā€œstockā€ Asterisk.

As example FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-14 actually provides Asterisk 11.10.2 (11.10.2-1 for SHMZ OS 6.5 which is the underlying OS of the FreePBX Distro distribution) and if you test (just testā€¦not do) a yum upgrade you will find a new built of Asterisk 11.10.2 (11.10.2-2 for SHMZ OS 6.5) that maybe could be available soon (just for the next release of FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-15, if any).

In other terms looking at the Changelogs of asterisk11-core RPM package provided for SHMZ OS:

==================== Installed Packages ====================
asterisk11-core-11.10.2-1.shmz65.1.7.x86 installed

• Fri Jun 13 14:00:00 2014 Derek Carter 11.10.2-1

==================== Available Packages ====================
asterisk11-core-11.10.2-2.shmz65.1.8.x86 pbx

• Fri Jun 13 14:00:00 2014 Derek Carter 11.10.2-1

may suggests you that a manual upgrade (Not using a RPM provided by Schmooze Com but using directly the source package of Asterisk 11) would be difficult (may I be wrong, step in and correct me if so) compared to what could be done using a stock Asterisk 11 over another type of (Linux) OS.

Did you read Home - Asterisk Documentation? Use this script ā€œinstall_prereq scriptā€ from the source.

Itā€™s not good idea to use FreePBX Distro to install some pkg from the source. You may get many errors and community canā€™t help you with it.

could also be read:

Itā€™s not good idea to install source packages on a FreePBX Distroā€¦in particular when those packages are core packagesā€¦like Asterisk.

The last source code of asterisk can require the last version of the dependencies. That dependencies may not available on the CentOS system (like glibc).

Thanks guys for responses,

@parnassus, I will upgrade and try again later, but I guess there will no difference though. SHMZ OS is actually Centos, isnā€™t?

@alexeynikolaev, yes I followed that ā€œInstalling Asterisk From Sourceā€ tutorial. Here is what I run

yum install wget gcc gcc-c++ ncurses-devel libxml2-devel sqlite-devel libsrtp-devel libuuid-devel openssl-devel unixODBC unixODBC-devel libtool-ltdl libtool-ltdl-devel libcurl-devel mysql-devel

cd /usr/local/src/asterisk-11.11.0/

contrib/scripts/get_mp3_source.sh

./configure --with-crypto --with-ssl --with-srtp

make menuselect && make && make install

tried both with and w/o

make config

**Need suggestions for further topics:** 1) After looking to http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/HTGS/Installing+FreePBX+2.11+on+Centos+6.3 and after deciding that there is no so much complicated setup there, I thought it maybe possible to upgrade Asterisk by building from source code. Anyway do you guys have any info about next release of FreePBX. According to previous release rate, it is just a moment for the next release, because there are 1-3 releases on every month and july is near to end here :).
  1. Is the same scenario and hence the same problem is also applicable for AsteriskNOW? I didnā€™t try it, but is manually upgrading Asterisk also problematic in there?

2. Actually I have an app that uses WebRTC and I am seeking for the DTLS-SRTP support discussed in this issue ( https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-22961 ). It has multiple patches that are now merged in version 11.11.0. Is it possible to have asterisk-devel packages and source code for builtin 11.10.2 version and apply patches from the mentioned issue?

Regard, Kbeq.

I never wrote you to upgrade using yum, I just wrote to test a yum upgrade to see if there is another Asterisk 11 update ongoing soonā€¦and, AFAIK, there isā€¦but, up to know, only FreePBX Distro developers know when (and if) this new Asterisk built will be available through a FreePBX Distro update (and nobody know if it will be the 11.10.2-2 or just another one newer than that).

Usually FreePBX Distro Upgrade Scripts take care of updating the FreePBX Distro OS RPM packages and (if itā€™s necessary) also FreePBX and Asteriskā€™s various packages (it happens regularly with Asterisk security hotfixes): the use of yum should be avoided, FreePBX Distro Upgrade Scripts should be used once they are available.

Regarding SHMZ OS (6.5) and its relationship with CentOS (6.5)ā€¦the answer is little bit complex from my point of view (things changed and are still changing) and, again, only FreePBX Distro Developers could point this question out.

If you are using the distro itā€™s better if you just wait for us to release the new version of asterisk instead of you trying to compile it from source

@tm1000 sure will wait, please can you give an approximate date of release though. Maybe a week or a month later?

Until that time, and according to your response I will continue to play with distro for compiling the vanilla Asterisk. Currently I was able to ā€˜migrateā€™ from the error Asterisk ended with exit status 132 to the error Asterisk ended with exit status 1 and then eliminate it by noloads in modules.conf. Now the web call is successful, the other (softphone) side is ringing, but the connection immediately lost on asnwer. No error logsā€¦ continueing to resolve itā€¦ If my tries will en up with failure then next step I am going to build all PBX system on fresh linux distro.

Kbeq.

It looks like that Asterisk 11.11.0 packaged by FreePBX developers for FreePBX Distro on SHMZ OS 6.5 is just around the cornerā€¦so I would wait for the FreePBX Distro Upgrade Script, maybe it will be available soon.

Hi @parnassus,
Just curious, is there some ā€˜status placeā€™, ā€˜road mapā€™ or maybe mailing list to follow / to be informed about the progress of distro releases? Or are you one of those developers on FreePBX dealing with this?

Hi @kbeq, no Iā€™m notā€¦I feel myself just an observerā€¦and Iā€™m just ā€œtunedā€ (read: I check/read from time to time) with Issues and Wiki portals and, from time to time, I check the status of a FreePBX Distro system I deployed, Iā€™m not a (software) developer (whatā€™s a pity), just an IT administrator and Linux (but not limited to that) enthusiast.

Some issues (and so some discussions) are recurring (e.g. the appropriate way to manage FreePBX Distro updatesā€¦) and so I look at them more frequently here at Community Portalā€¦so I step in when I see those particular threads and try to help.

Sometime itā€™s a matter of find relationships between different threads: as example, Asterisk 11.11.0 reference I wrote just popped up here.

Asking for release date is bad juju in the softwareā€¦ the only thing worse is giving release datesā€¦ The software gods get angryā€¦ developers have been known to loose an eyeā€¦

##FreePBX UI
http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/DC/Roadmap
##Distro updating
http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FD/Updating+FreePBX+Official+Distro
##RPM Changes:
http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FD/FreePBX+Distro+Features+above+stock+Asterisk

Please note the FreePBX Distro is used in many mission critical environments. It is more important to be stable then to sit on the razors edge. It is a balancing act. We try to be relatively current with the Asterisk releases within major supported branches. That said there is a buffer to allow testing that ensures things all work. You may sometimes see a 0day release related to a security event. Note that a public release from a project is not always the actual release.

2 Likes

Haha :smiley: wonā€™t ask againā€¦
I appreciate all of you for a valuable effort and contribution to produce such an useful software.
Thanks for links! Now lets to revert all and upgrade!

Definitely, staying on the edge could be a risky businessā€¦Razors cut!

Thatā€™s ā€œstagingā€ā€¦to let internal/external (Field Trials) testers to test/verify for regressions before to release a (new) stable piece of softwareā€¦a very professional and good habit I think.

Some major and famous IT/TLC companies (no names here), due to increased complexity of their featured products and due to high internal costs and aggressive marketing strategies, tend to release software updates very often outsourcing blindly to end customers (or distributors!) the Alpha/Beta test phase (without any form of clear agreement on that!) ā€¦and that is, IMO, very nasty if you arenā€™t ready to be a Alpha/Beta tester (a Field Trial manā€¦as I say); old time are really gone!