Two quick and easy (hopefully) questions

Hello everyone, I am currently trying to make a couple changes to our freepbx system that should be quite easy, but I have not been able to figure out. I don’t have much asterisk experience yet.

First, I would like all incoming phone calls to go to one person on the first ring (always the same person), then more people on the second or third rings. I have not found an easy way to do this in the gui.

Second, I would like to have a different ring for incoming calls than for when a call is transferred.

Bonus: Is it possible to increase the time we have to dial calls before the server drops the connection?

Thanks in advance!

If these questions are answered elsewhere feel free to direct me. I am not really what these features are called/what to serach for

I would say setup ring groups. set the first group to ring for 20 seconds then if no answer choose a destination of another ring group. and specify all other extensions in the second ring group

As far as the bonus there should be a timer on your phone that will sit and wait for a full number to be input. check the phone settings

and changing the rings would most likely be something on the phone itself and not a pbx setting.

You will want to look at the Digit Map for your phone and change it accordingly.

First, I should mention, in case you aren’t aware… You would only be able to do this for blind (unattended) transfers, because attended transfers are initiated by a regular call to the destination, and then the transfer happens later. So there’s no way to know when they’re initiating the call whether they’re calling to talk to the person, or to transfer a call.

Anyway, changing the ring tone is done by setting the Alert-Info SIP header in the dialplan. However, the value to place in the header depends on your phones. It should be specified in the administration or provisioning documentation for your phone model. You might have to set up the phones to allow it.

As far as the FreePBX setup for it, you would set the Alert-Info in two places, [from-internal-custom] (for transfers) and [from-internal-noxfer-custom] (override for non-transfers) in /etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf (Note: entirely untested code… may not work at all):

; Ring for transferred calls
[from-internal-custom]
exten => _X.,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: <transfer-ring-value>)
same => n,Goto(from-internal-additional,${EXTEN},1)

; Ring for non-transferred calls
[from-internal-noxfer-custom]
exten => _X.,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: <non-transfer-ring-value>)
same => n,Goto(from-internal-noxfer-additional,${EXTEN},1)

The one thing I’m unsure of is whether those Goto lines are going to work. According to the responses here, you would have to use a different extension. I’m not sure I believe that, but as I said, I haven’t tested this, so I’m still only guessing. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in! Or you can try it and let us know. :smile: