Trunk settings for Freephoneline.ca/Fongo.ca

I reached out to the folks at Fongo. They offer configuration as a service so I wanted to clarify this post didn’t violate their IP, TOS, AUP etc. We also want to ensure people are getting the right information as there is a lot of wrong info out there.

Here is the response:

Greetings from Canada!

I have reviewed the post in your Forums and the information presented is not accurate.

At Freephoneline (residential) services, we are not blocking user agent if it’s Freepbx.

However, back in February 2013 we updated our guidelines ( http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries/23120323-VoIP-Unlock-Key-Credentials ) and gave users a period to adhere to it until we start enforcing such rules.

Those rules are mostly regarding REGISTER requests as close to 40% our user base had it missconfigured and caused a negative impact on overall service health.

As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)…

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). Services as sip.sorcery.com or PBXes.org have been white listed already and they are not affected.

That being said, a user having registration expiry set to 240 seconds might run into issues.

I am running PBX in a Flash at my home with 3 FPL trunks and have no issues.

These are the settings:

Registration Interval: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Registration Expiry: 3600 seconds (1 hour)

Failed Registration Re-Try Interval:120 seconds

I am also attaching a screenshot from freepbx->Asterisk SIP settings for your reference.

You can inform this user that we are not blocking user agents and as long as their system is configured as per FPL guidelines, they should have no issues.