The official end of Trixbox CE

If you have not seen trixbox CE has officially been killed. Going to www.trixbox.org will redirect you to a upgrade to trixbox Pro page and a statement saying their is no support and upgrades for trixbox CE anymore.

So that brings up my next question. Is there much interest in us building a migration script to take the latest trixbox CE and convert it into a full fledge FreePBX Distro 1.815.210.58 system?

That tells me that freepbx 2.10 did not get installed.

Run these commands

rm -rf /var/www/html/admin/modules/blacklist/
rm -rf /var/www/html/admin/modules/support/
rm -rf /var/www/html/maint/modules/backup/
cd /tmp/
wget http://mirror.freepbx.org/freepbx-2.10.0.tar.gz
tar xvfz freepbx-2.10.0.tar.gz
cd freepbx-2.10.0
echo -e “a\n” | ./install_amp
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable framework
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin uninstall blacklist
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin uninstall support
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin uninstall backup
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin installall
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin installall
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin reload
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable cdr
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable customappsreg
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable dashboard
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable featurecodeadmin
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable infoservices
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable music
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable recordings
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin enable voicemail
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf
/var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin reload

This script should take any trixbox 2.8 system to the latest Stable FreePBX Distro of 1.816.210.58-1.

When done your PBX should be converted to an official FreePBX Distro system and allow you to upgrade in the future to all FreePBX Distro versions.

http://upgrades.freepbxdistro.org/trixbox/scripts/trixbox2.8-freepbx1.816.210.57-1.sh

As with all upgrades things can go wrong and there is very little error checking in this script as it just fast and dirty to get you moved over to a supported system. Let me know if you run into any issues and I will try and help address them.

Please also tell us about your success stories with this script.

Would this also work with older versions such as 2.4.2?

I have zero interest in using this. Even if I could, I always prefer a clean install and a fresh configuration.

But, then, maybe I’m a glutton for punishment.

AdHominem

I understand your point. This was for people who that was not a option for and when it is done all the trixbox stuff not just rebranding freepbx is removed. It is 100% a FreePBX Distro system.

You served me well for the last 5 years,
you made me google for days,
you made me drink gallons of redbull,
and smoke endless packs of cigarettes,
you made my punch my monitor and kick the dog.

without you I would still be noob.

Infinity

I second just about everything you stated there.

I might be the minority here but I think the Trixbox CE project has been abandoned for long enough that no huge demand for an upgrade script exists. The time and resources spent on the conversion of the few stragglers would be better spent on making FreePBX into a better project.

My guess is there are about 200,000 trixbox systems in active production.

Maybe there’s a biblical lesson in this…"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? ". Then we all rejoice when all of the Trixboxers are back in the fold!

BF

199,999 just moved my last trixbox deployment to FPBX

I love Bill’s quote. Having said that I also agree Trixbox was dead a long time ago. Had there been a script to convert to FreePBX I would have loved to have had it when I abandoned Trixbox. Heck, I think I would have even paid some sort of fee for that… oh wait… I tried. No one wanted to touch it for a reasonable price even with my simple system.

I was going to say “Don’t waste your time” but I’ve seen multiple people the past few days trying to convert from Trixbox to FreePBX in the forums. If there really are 199,999 still left now that InfinityMVS has switched, it might be handy to have such a script. This is particularly true since it sounds like you’ve already written it.

Bring them into our fold and make the project stronger. But I still think the idea of a token fee isn’t out of line. No guarantees. If it doesn’t work you get your money back. Use at your own risk.

I have a vendor that has put in several Trixbox systems. He claims that they have been in several years and he hasn’t touched them. I wonder how many TB or FreePBX for that matter, are in the same boat.

BF

If it ain’t broke… don’t fix it. But you’d better have a backup plan if running something that old for your business or you’re going to be caught short IMHO. What business can afford to be without a phone… for even 1 day? I can’t imagine they’re keeping a second system around “just in case” and as the technology gets older, it will become harder to support or transfer to a newer version.

I still have about six old crank phones… but I don’t run my business on them.

There are no doubt going to be stragglers on the Trixbox CE platform and a script to help them migrate will find a few users. Especially when hosting providers like Lylix.net are still offering it as a distribution option for their customers.

A big thanks to Tony who volunteers his time and that of his staff to work on this but I would think that those few users still sputtering along on TrixBox CE will find a way to migrate that suits their individual needs.

DUPLICATE Please Remove - sorry posting from an LTE connection

A big thanks to Tony!

BF

Presumably all the TB’s and EL’s that use non FreePBX code will work until they break or get compromised, when that happens there will be many of those 199,998 and counting N-- who will need help then.

I guess there are some folks still using Windows 98 but few, there are many more traditional PBX’s out there that are Nortel, Avaya, Mitel etc. and twenty or more years “out of date”, These will not have a problem until they die.

The TB’s et al of the world will likely find out sooner as the hardware/software they use is far lest robust.

Schmooze (Tony) has reasonably published a save-you script, and also offer paid support for those orphans who are “out-of-their-depth” as their systems relentlessly die, It will be interesting to watch the future . . . .