System Admin cannot be installed

In going through the First Steps After Installation, I am directed to use the System Admin Module. However, when I first try to install it through the GUI, I get:

Module Administration
Errors with selection:

System Admin cannot be installed:
        PHP Component Zend Guard Loader is required but missing from you PHP installation.
        File /usr/sbin/incrond must exist.
    Please try again after the dependencies have been installed.

After some googling and testing, I performed the following:

# wget http://downloads.zend.com/guard/5.5.0/ZendGuardLoader-php-5.3-linux-glibc23-x86_64.tar.gz
# tar xzf ZendGuardLoader-php-5.3-linux-glibc23-x86_64.tar.gz
# cp ZendGuardLoader-php-5.3-linux-glibc23-x86_64/php-5.3.x/ZendGuardLoader.so /usr/lib/php5/20090626/
# file=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/ZendGuardLoader.so
# echo zend_extension=$file > /etc/php5/conf.d/zend_extensions.ini
# chmod 644 $file
# chown 0:0 $file
# service apache2 reload
# aptitude install incron

I then try again to install the System Admin module through the GUI, but now I get the following error:

Please wait while module actions are performed
Unable to determine sysadmin rpm version...exiting
Error(s) installing sysadmin: Failed to run installation scripts

Any fix for this?

How did you install this system? Did you use a pre-made distribution or install on your own OS?

From my understanding Zend on Ubuntu has some issues but sysadmin module is really focused on enterprise Linux. @tonyclewis correct me if I am wrong but sysadmin is not Ubuntu compatible.

This is installed to a vanilla install Ubuntu Server 12.04 with latest official updates. I installed FreePBX using Installing FreePBX on Ubuntu 12.04 Server (Precise Pangolin) from the FreePBX wiki.

How much more difficult will it be for me to run Free PBX without that module? What other modules are not compatible with Ubuntu?

How come it is seems so difficult to use FreePBX with Ubuntu? I already have an Ubuntu Server box that performs several different uses on my network, I don’t want to learn a new distro and I don’t want to have a separate box just for FreePBX.

It is very easy to use FreePBX on Debian based systems, installing the commercial modules will be less so, you don’t need any Commercial modules to use FreePBX, they are just value added additions.

Doesn’t Ubuntu support KVM or XEN? If you need the extended functionality of the commercial modules they are more closely married to the OS than FreePBX proper.

You could install the FreePBX distro in a KVM instance and be good to go. Any modern machine has enough CPU bandwidth to accommodate this.

With respect, the commercial modules are linked to zenguard which is technically only supported on the SHMZ or whatever OS, there is no reason for that, zend works on almost all old fashioned hardware, you just have to pay for it :wink:

Debian right now is using linux kernel 3.x which has many improvements over 2.6, you should try it sometime. your VM’s will be way better.

But the whole concept of visualizing a lesser kernel on a better kernel just to get a “painted into a corner” OS working is just in MHO bizarre.

JM2CWAE

(effing spell checkers :-), VIRTUALIZING)

Bizarre, you have a flare for the dramatic, I would say creative.

As far as lesser kernels I would assume there may be some merit to that comment technically but from a practical standpoint CentOS is insanely stable. We are thinking about putting servers in the walls of new construction before they put the drywall up. That’s how reliable it is.

3 Likes

I just realized that a customer may read this and think I am serious. It’s just bizarre techie humor.

I like to use the oldest hardware I can safely get away with. My home server is running on an AMD FX-62 with lots of eBay and craigslist specials inside, and normally doesn’t break a sweat.

As far as virtualization goes, it’s not on my list of things to learn at the moment. I’m only an enthusiast in all this stuff so I have to pick my battles.

I was a bit confused over not being able to follow along all the various wiki instructions, but after spending more time going through them, I think I can get the configuration I want without using any commercial modules.

That’s good. The FreePBX distro runs fine on older hardware new. As an integrator the sub 100 price of OEM Atom boards and SSD’s is also perfect.

Hi guys!
I’m trying to install a commercial module - sysadmin using:

sudo fwconsole ma downloadinstall sysadmin

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + PHP 7.4 FPM + nginx

Get an error:

Downloading module 'sysadmin'
Processing sysadmin
Verifying local module download...Verified
Extracting...Done
Download completed in 15 seconds
Unable to install module sysadmin:
 - The File "/usr/sbin/incrond" must exist.
Updating Hooks...Done
Chowning directories...Done

I also tried installing it from GUI FreePBX

Status
Please wait while module actions are performed
Installing sysadmin
Error(s) installing sysadmin:
The File "/usr/sbin/incrond" must exist.
Updating Hooks...Done

But unsuccessfully.
I understand that I need Zend Guard. But it doesn’t seem to be supported by Ubuntu? Any ideas? Thanks.

Commercial modules are not supported on non-distro systems. If you want commercial modules you will need to run the official FreePBX distro.