Symlink from modules failed on status screen after upgrade

I am using FreePBX v2.7.0.3 with Asterisk v1.4.18.

The freepbx status screen said there were 7 new modules to upgrade, so I went to module admin and selected them and clicked process and the upgrades all went thru (except Fax Configuration… see here for more details):
http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/users/upgrade-fax-configuration-creates-error

When I returned to the Status Screen it says:

Error Symlink from modules failed
retrieve_conf failed to sym link:
   /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_op_conf_from_mysql.php
   /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_op_conf_from_mysql.pl
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the
target file exists, the symlink will not occur and you
should rename the target file to allow the automatic
sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is
an intentional customization.
Added 7 seconds ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

Does anybody know what this means and what I should do about it (if anything)? Everything appears to still be working!

Thanks

Got a similar error after normal module upgrades today. Haven’t renamed or deleted files yet… everything seems stable at the moment.

/var/www/html/admin/images/delete.gif
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 11 minutes ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

delete those two files, then press the “apply configuration settings” orange bar again and the warnings will go away.

Hi friends, I have Elastix FreePBX 1.6 and upgrade to version 2.8, but got the same error with some differences.

“Error Symlink from modules failed
/var/www/html/admin/images/sound_delete.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/play.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/application_link.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_notice.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_delete.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_error.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_update.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_critical.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_security.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/dashboard-sysinfo.png
/var/www/html/admin/images/notify_warning.png
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.”

I have made the process of renaming. Old all files listed above. But far to correct the problem remains.
Any ideas? Thank you very much.

I renamed the two files below (did not want to delete them) per p_lindheimer’s note above, and restarted asterisk and the message went away!

Note that I had to RESTART asterisk… I did a RELOAD first, but the error message remained on the status screen.

Thanks p_lindheimer

restarting asterisk has nothing to do with it.

The error is detected and reported, or deleted when retrieve_conf runs, and only then.

That is what “apply configuration changes” does, it runs retrieve_conf and then does a module reload in Asterisk afterwards (but the latter is not related)

I had the same error on the two mysql… files but also had errors for these two files:

/etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf
/var/www/html/admin/images/delete.gif

I moved them out of the way but these two did not correct themselves like the mysql files did.

something else must be copying those files there then. Do you have any non-FreePBX core modules installed?

Hello again, in view of the problem I reinstalled the system. Upgrade to version 2.7 everything that I had no problem. But the error reappeared.

“Symlink from modules failed”

Anyone know what the update that is giving these problems.
Thank you.

Renamed the files, reloaded (“Apply Configuration Changes”), and error is gone!

Yes, it seems to be the endpoint manager module that is conflicting. It keeps wanting the symlinks pointed to folders within it’s area.

is it conflicting with the restart module?

Problem solved … renaming all the files that were reported in error.
Thank you very much.

Greetings…

I’m getting the same error message but on the files:
/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
/etc/asterisk/iax.conf

I don’t think we want to rename these.

The system is running:

• Running Asterisk Version : Asterisk 1.4.21.2
  • Asterisk Source Version : 1.4.21.2
  • Zaptel Source Version : 1.4.12.1
  • Libpri Source Version : 1.4.7
  • Addons Source Version : 1.4.7

and FreePBX 2.7.0.4

Thanks.

I upgraded today to 2.8.0.0 and received the following symlink error.

/etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf
/var/www/html/admin/images/spacer.gif
This can result in FATAL failures to your PBX. If the target file exists and not identical, the symlink will not occur and you should rename the target file to allow the automatic sym link to occur and remove this error, unless this is an intentional customization.
Added 7 seconds ago
(retrieve_conf.SYMLINK)

I removed these 2 files and made a change in freepbx and applied, the files were recreated but the error still remains.

my system is as follows.

Status Version 1.2.9 released on Date 042310

•        PBX in a Flash Version  Daemon Status                 *

•                  Running Asterisk 1.4                        *

• Asterisk * ONLINE * Zaptel * ONLINE * MySQL * ONLINE *
  • SSH * ONLINE * Apache * ONLINE * Iptables * ONLINE *
  • Fail2ban * ONLINE * IP Connect* ONLINE * Ip6tables * OFFLINE *
  • BlueTooth * ONLINE * Hidd * ONLINE * NTPD * ONLINE *
  • Sendmail * ONLINE * Samba * OFFLINE * Webmin * ONLINE *
  • Ethernet0 * ONLINE * Ethernet1 * N/A * Wlan0 * N/A *

• Running Asterisk Version : Asterisk 1.4.21.2
  • Asterisk Source Version : 1.4.21.2
  • Zaptel Source Version : 1.4.12.1
  • Libpri Source Version : 1.4.10
  • Addons Source Version : 1.4.7

pbx.home on 192.168.0.200 - eth0
CentOS release 5.3 (Final) :32 Bit Kernel: 2.6.18-128.el5

I did receive symlink errors for different files before when in beta and the removing of files did the trick but not this time.

Not sure if something like this should be reported as a bug so I put it here first.

Gary.

I’m not sure who is messing with spacer.gif and thus where that is coming from. If you have the Endpoint Manager installed and the restart module installed, then you would be getting a conflict between those as they both try to do a symlink and only one will be successful.

I’m working with tm1000 on that issue so we can get it resolved between the two modules…

Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I am also getting this message, but it’s for 3 gif files (twice for spacer.gif).
/var/www/html/admin/images/grey_block.gif
/var/www/html/admin/images/logo.gif

I can rm -f the files, and when the apply configuration changes is done, they are re-created and I get the error message.

I ran /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf --debug. Here is some snippage that seems relevant.

[DEBUG-retrieve_conf] (devel-debug) Including /var/www/html/admin/modules/configeditoradv/functions.inc.php
[DEBUG-retrieve_conf] (devel-debug) /var/www/html/admin/modules/configeditoradv/functions.inc.php processed OK
[DEBUG-retrieve-conf] (error) /var/www/html/admin/images/grey_block.gif already exists, and is linked to something else!
[DEBUG-retrieve-conf] (error) /var/www/html/admin/images/logo.gif already exists, and is linked to something else!
[DEBUG-retrieve-conf] (error) /var/www/html/admin/images/spacer.gif already exists, and is linked to something else!

[DEBUG-retrieve-conf] (devel-debug) /var/www/html/admin/images/call-compare.png already points to /var/www/html/admin/cdr/images/call-compare.png - OK
[DEBUG-retrieve-conf] (error) /var/www/html/admin/images/spacer.gif already exists, and is linked to something else!

I ran ls -l in the /var/www/html/admin/images directory, here is where I show them linked.

grey_block.gif -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/configeditoradv/images/grey_block.gif
logo.gif -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/configeditoradv/images/logo.gif
spacer.gif -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/configeditoradv/images/spacer.gif

For a bit I had it for some chan_(or -) dahdi.conf file. I deleted it and the error for that one went away.

What I can’t seem to figure out is how retrieve_conf determines what to link and where.

Note: This is on AsteriskNOW 1.7 (asterisk 1.6.9) with FreePBX 2.7. I don’t know that I started getting these messages right after I installed the advanced config editor though.

it sounds like that module has conflicting images. I am not familiar with that module, where did it come from as it appears to be creating the problem?

I updated retrieve_conf to compare the files when there is a conflict and not complain if in fact the files are identical (per an md5sum hash). However, that change has not yet been published on the 2.7 branch as I wanted to make sure the fix did not create problems so only published it on 2.8.

So … once published, if the file it is conflicting with is identical it will no longer complain. (However, it’s still an issue that there is a conflict and it’s probably that module at fault…)

As far as how retrieve_conf determines what to link, it is based on some defined directories in the modules. The images directory is one of them.

The advanced config editor is here:

http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/module-documentation/third-party-unsupported-modules/config-editor-advanced

It allows editing within the web browser of the .conf files in etc and etc/asterisk

How about, when using the retrieve_conf --debug command, to get it to output what it wanted the symlink to be and what it is is now?