Set language on FreePBX 13

let’s make things clear
I loaded languages in Italian on /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/it/
then I put the parameter in “Setting -> Advanced Settings” field “Default language” I put the parameter “it”

but it does not work…

I forgot or something wrong ???

1 Like

You do this through the module Sound Languages. “Default Language” in Advanced Settings is for the GUI only. And there are very few Italian translations.

I have not explained
I need to translate audio alerts asterisk

Yes. I answered your question already.

but I do not want to translate the GUI
I want asterisk speak in Italian
In fact, I posted the files on /var/lib/asterisk/suoni/it/

Right and I said you need to use the module called “Sound Languages”

I was in the area "Admin -> Sound Languages"
Italian does not exist
there is no way to make him understand that the audio files in Italian are /var/lib/asterisk/suoni/it/

Please read the wiki on this module. You can easily add “it” to it through the GUI. Look for the word “custom” while in it

Hi,

If you use the custom settings for the Italian language (it), you will need to add English as well in order to choose the Italian language. I did it with the Hebrew language. I am attaching a screenshot for you. Just customize it to the Italian language and then choose the Italian language from the global settings.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

They would need to be in

/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/it/

for Asterisk to know where to find those files , re-install your language files in an acceptable location and ensure they have the right “permissions”.

Maybe

will help.

Any missing files will be played from your

/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/ or possibly /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/ if not in “en”

directory.

Hi @dicko,

I think that his Linux system is in Italian, and that is why he wrote the suoni in his path, which means sounds in Italian. Anyway, it is easy to verify on his system if this is the right path with the ls command:

ls -la /var/lib/asterisk/suoni

should show this:

[root@voip1 ~]# ls -la /var/lib/asterisk/suoni/
total 208
drwxr-xr-x.  4 asterisk asterisk   4096 Nov 26 15:04 .
drwxr-xr-x. 15 asterisk asterisk   4096 Dec 29 23:38 ..
-rw-r--r--.  1 asterisk asterisk      0 Mar 28  2014 .asterisk-core-sounds-en-alaw-1.4.25
-rw-r--r--.  1 asterisk asterisk      0 Mar 28  2014 .asterisk-core-sounds-en-gsm-1.4.25
-rw-r--r--.  1 asterisk asterisk      0 Mar 28  2014 .asterisk-core-sounds-en-ulaw-1.4.25
-rw-r--r--.  1 asterisk asterisk      0 Mar 28  2014 .asterisk-extra-sounds-en-alaw-1.4.14
-rw-r--r--.  1 asterisk asterisk      0 Mar 28  2014 .asterisk-extra-sounds-en-gsm-1.4.14
-rw-r--r--.  1 asterisk asterisk      0 Mar 28  2014 .asterisk-extra-sounds-en-ulaw-1.4.14
drwxr-xr-x. 11 asterisk asterisk 188416 Oct 26 22:13 en
drwxr-xr-x   4 asterisk asterisk  12288 Nov 29 09:03 it
lrwxrwxrwx   1 asterisk asterisk     57 Oct 26 22:13 intercom.wav -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/pagingpro/sounds/intercom.wav
lrwxrwxrwx   1 asterisk asterisk     59 Oct 26 22:13 silence-30.gsm -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/broadcast/sounds/silence-30.gsm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 asterisk asterisk     58 Oct 26 22:13 silence-5.gsm -> /var/www/html/admin/modules/broadcast/sounds/silence-5.gsm

If not, he should fix his path for the Italian sounds.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

I don’t believe that asterisk or FreePBX will understand that “suoni” should be read as “sounds” , does it work in Israeli/Hebrew UTF8 ? (possibly צלילים)

Hi @dicko,

I never use other languages except English on my servers to avoid mistakes like that, but from my experience on other systems in other countries in Europe like France, Italy, Germany and more, the Linux character set is in the local language which may lead sometimes to mistakes in the configuration.

I am sure that @claloano will tell us what was the mistake in his system. I just raised few ideas for him to check.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

I agree, @claloano should use good old english/ISO country abbreviations and linux directory structures for any added languages if using Asterisk/FreePBX, the audio content of the file is immaterial

Ref :-

always use iso 639-1 2 letter codes under /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/ (that is pretty well hardcoded under ASTVARLIBDIR/sounds/, as defined in your /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf file)

but of course you can add ko for Klingon

Thanks so much Daniel
Your example was clear
I solved the problem
In fact I had done everything but lacked English
What sense indicere also English to operate another language ???

Hi @claloano,

I am glad that you have solved your problem. I did not understand exactly what was your last question.
Can you elaborate?

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

I do not understand why I had to enter both “it” and “en” to run “it”

Hi @claloano,

I did not understand it either. Maybe @tm1000 would be able to explain that.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.

Asterisk sounds are rooted in the astvarlibdir (as defined in /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf file) /sounds directory, then as documented in :-

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Sound+Prompt+Searching+based+on+Channel+Language

the default language is en_US and is hardcoded in the asterisk source in many places. So my guess is that it will probably fail at various places if /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en at least is not there whether the file exists in that directory or not, and further cannot play any file asked for but not there in the descending tree as the link describes. If you build asterisk with make menuconfig the default would be to create only the basic core sounds in /en , most distros will also provide the en core sounds plus the extra sound packages in en also.

1 Like

Hi @dicko,

Your explanation is correct but not related to the problem of adding another language to the Asterisk sound files. The problem in the Freepbx gui is that although the default language is en and the fallback is set to en, the value of language field in the sip.conf file does not changes if you are adding only one custom language (it, he, fr etc.) to the Freepbx module.

You need to setup the en language in the custom part of the module as well to change the language value in the sip.conf file.

Thank you,

Daniel Friedman
Trixton LTD.