Ring multiple phones from one trunk ? select line to dial from?

Hello, total noob here, but I now can answer a ringing line and make a call from my first trunk.
My setup is two FXO lines and some snom phones. What I want it to do is ring all the phones when a CO line is ringing to the FXO. (Selective ring tone to indicate which line is ringing would also be nice.) Then, any station could answer the ringing line.

Second problem is how to select which line to dial out from by the line select buttons on the phones.
Right now, it seems to always dial out from the first line (FXO unit).

Thanks much in advance for any help with setting this up!

Jon

Issue #1

You need to create a Ring Group.
Allocate ALL your extensions to the Ring Group.
Send ALL your Incoming calls to the Ring Group.
Answer any incoming call from any phone handset/extension.

Solved. You’re welcome.
BTW, we were all noobs at least once. :wink:

Edit. Consider what happens when you have more than 1 concurrent incoming call. You need to explore the Queues module.

Issue #2

Now I’m a noob, but willing to have a guess, in case it assists.
I’m not familiar with snom phone/s, but to select outbound trunks by line number/s on phones, you may need to register each “line” button as a separate extension, and then apply different extension/s to different outbound route/s.
There’s a whole Extension Routing module for you to explore.
HTH

I’m a FreePBX Noob too :slight_smile:

Do you need to choose the outgoing line manually? Or can you let FreePBX choose for you?

Example a:
I have a direct dial number. Therefore I may want to choose to dial out from the company number, or from my direct dial number. To do that, I’d need to either

a) Create multiple outbound routes, chosen by the user by dialing a prefix number/code. Say dialing 9… for the office outgoing line and dialing 8… for my direct dial number (or any dialing prefix you like, eg: [any of *71, 0., 1…, 9… for office line], *72 for direct dial line, so the default is the group line.

b) Set the SNOM phone to choose the outgoing route, but I imagine that is simply setting one of the button to insert the dial prefix.

Example b:
I have multiple incoming lines. I want the next available unused line when I dial out.

This is also set up in outgoing routes. For us, we’ve a Vega50 analog to SIP gateway, all 4 analog lines arrive to the FreePBX server as a single SIP trunk.
FreePBX will automatically get an available line if the trunk has one available.

We also have a SIP line available (my personal number). If all 4 analog lines are busy, FreePBX goes to the next available trunk (the SIP line) and uses that. You choose the order lines are chosen in: Outgoing Routes > Trunk Sequence for Matched Routes

The Vega 50 can also provide the 4 analog lines as individual trunks, which would be useful if we had different incoming numbers. Incoming Routes manages calls coming into FreePBX

Hope that helps

Sudoroo, thanks! Hmm, so dialing a specific prefix digit will do it, but any digit can occur in a phone number. Still, that gives me some ideas to try. The snom phone has 2 buttons that can select lines, they can send a message. I’ll have to study this a bit.

Bgroper,
thanks, also! I now have ring groups set up, and it looks like that is working. Can anybody tell me how to set up distinctive ringing with snom phones? The phones have several ringtones, and I want each incoming trunk to have a different ring tone.

Thanks, guys!

Jon

Dial Patterns (in outgoing routes)
The FreePBX will analyse the dialled number to make a decision on where to send the call. It can also alter the number that is passed on. For example, a SIP provider may require a number with international dialing code but your users may not want to put that in every time they make a call, so you can have FreePBX add that to numbers they dial. Likewise, remove an initial digit if it was just used to choose the outgoing route (dial 9 for an outside line but don’t include that initial 9 in the number you pass to the phone company).
Whilst any digit can occur in a number, you can just match the first part. In my small office system (UK) numbers we dial to the public network will begin 0, 1 or 9 [I make our users use the local area dialling code instead of making them dial a digit to get an outside line, to keep dial patterns simple]. I made all our internal extensions begin with a 2 (number 21 through 25, but I could have done 200 through 299 or 2000 though 2999, etc). Voicemail uses *9880 but users don’t know that, I configured the ‘voicemail’ button on their phones to dial that number when they press it.
The ‘Dial Patterns’ can be very complex to handle your particular needs, here’s one of my outgoing routes & dial patterns:

So you see from this, FreePBX will try and use our trunk voip_co_uk first, and if that’s too busy or unobtainable then try ‘vega’, which happens to be a SIP trunk to our Analog to SIP Media gateway.

This route is used when a call matches the dial pattern [019]. I’ll not even try to explain regular expressions here, but that one looks to see the number dialed has a first number beginning 0, 1 or 9, and any number after that.

I have another route that is processed first that specifically matches the emergency numbers 999, 101, and other service numbers beginning 1 or 9 (eg 112, the EU emergency number). That route if matched will try to use our analog lines (important for the emergency services to know our location, although the voip routes have that set I’m just more confident the analog line will get the job done) and if no line is available it falls back to the voip lines (so the reverse of our normal preference).

SNOM phone
I’m guessing you could
a) configure each line as a different extension on FreePBX, and when you press the button on the snom it will talk to FreePBX as that extension number, and from within the extension I think you can define the extension only to have access to particular outgoing routes.
or
b) configure the button to prefix the number dialled, eg: in my system I could still use ‘8’ as a prefix to choose a different route to the default (and 2 is in for internal extensions.)

Distinctive Ring
I’ve not set this up, but looking at Ring group settings, change alert info for each hunt group.