RESOLVED: How do I apply a patch to Asterisk on FreePBX distro?

Thanks xrobau,

unfortunately I’ve never patched anything before, so I need a little more hand holding.

Is there a guide that you know of for patching freepbx/asterisk?

I havent found any how to written for patching FreePBX

Progress so far for others looking to patch asterisk

Find your Asterisk version by logging into FreePBX, enter "asterisk -r"
Version will be displayed as you enter the asterisk CLI

Download SRPM related to your Asterisk version
[removed old]

Follow this guide:
http://bradthemad.org/tech/notes/patching_rpms.php

UPDATE … still not working. I got to the “rpmbuild” part but it says “libresample-devel is needed by asterisk, this is needed by asterisk, that is needed by asterisk”

over and over with different dependencies that are missing (or in use?)

I have no idea what I’m doing … trying to follow sketchy guides like the one above and this one

Ok for anyone still reading this I was able to get it working, the best guide is

It is mostly accurate except for a few things like syntax - when installing misdn “yum misdn” but its really “yum mISDN”

Also some of the commands reference older versions of things, but I updated my commands to reference newer versions

my rpmbuild didnt work the first time, but I was able to fix the missing dependencies with yum-builddep asterisk11.spec

However, for yum-builddep to work I first had to remove epel-release (yum remove epel-release)

What a huge pain in the ass. I’ve spent like 4hours on this. Well at least learning Linux is never time wasted…

Well the install seemed like it worked

but now when i log into FreePBX GUI it shows asterisk on fire (down)

says “Asterisk Mngmt Interface astman failure”

To complete this thread, here are the right steps to apply a patch:

[Fresh Install of FreePBX 12 Distro: 6.12.65 x86_64]

RPM Source: asterisk11-11.18.0-1.shmz65.1.81.src.rpm
    Patch: cisco-usecallmanager-11.18.0.patch

# yum install epel-release
    # yum install mISDN
    # cd /home/
    # wget http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/mISDNuser-2.0.19-1.2.src.rpm
    # yum erase epel-release
    # yum install rpm-build
    # yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
    # wget http://yum1.freepbxdistro.org/pbx/SRPMS/asterisk/11/asterisk11-11.18.0-1.shmz65.1.81.src.rpm
    # mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
    # echo '%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild' > ~/.rpmmacros
    # rpm --nomd5 -ivh asterisk-11.14.1-1.src.rpm

WARNING: group mockbuild does not exist - using root
    asterisk 11 ########################################

# rpm --nomd5 -ivh mISDNuser-2.0.19-1.2.src.rpm

WARNING: mISDNuser-2.0.19-1.2.src.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 1324lkha: NOKEY

1. mISDNuser ################################# [100%]

# cd /root/rpmbuild/SPECS
    # yum-builddep misdnuser.spec
    # rpmbuild -bp misdnuser.spec
    # rpmbuild -ba misdnuser.spec
    # cd /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64
    # rpm -Uvh libmisdn1-*.rpm
    # rpm -Uvh mISDNuser*.rpm
      1. mISDNuser-devel     ######################## [100%]
      2. mISDNuser-debuginfo ######################## [100%]
      3. mUSDNuser           ######################## [100%]
    # cd ../../SPECS
    # yum-builddep asterisk11.spec
    # rpmbuild -bp asterisk11.spec
    # cd ../SOURCES
    # wget https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/secure/attachment/52713/cisco-usecallmanager-11.18.0.patch
    # cd ../SPECS
    # nano asterisk11.spec

Added the following, where appropriate:

Patch 13: cisco-usecallmanager-11.18.0.patch
    %patch13 -p1

// Installing Asterisk here, I left out the following rpms:
    // asterisk11-misdn*.rpm, asterisk11-snmp*.rpm, and all the asterisk11-voicemail*.rpms
    // except the asterisk11-voicemail-11*.rpm one

# rpmbuild -bp asterisk11.spec
    # rpmbuild -ba asterisk11.spec
    # cd /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64
    # rpm -Uvh asterisk11-[a-l]*.rpm --force
    # rpm -Uvh asterisk11-[n-r]*.rpm --force
    # rpm -Uvh asterisk11-t*.rpm --force
    # rpm -Uvh asterisk11-voicemail-11*.rpm --force
    # rpm -Uvh libmisdn1*.rpm --force
    # rpm -Uvh mISDN*.rpm --force

# service asterisk restart

It is generally recommended that you never build anything as root. It’s a linux thing, root can do anything and you are trusting “somebody else” that’s why an untrusted user like mockbuild is used, then root just needs to install ( do the dirty work) to get it going.

JM2CWAE

Thanks dicko i’ll remember that next time

Hey, sorry to drag up an old topic, but I wanted to put this here since it’s on the front page of google when searching how to apply the cisco-usecallmanager patch to freepbx.

There is a new version of this patch which applies to asterisk 13.10.0, which is the version of asterisk used by the newest FreePBX - 10.13.66-15. So since we have Cisco 7900 phones, I wanted to get the cutting-edge FreePBX working with them. After several hours and much ado I have something to show for it, and here it is:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B211QsfoNBOPVHd1TlRhX2lycnM

Here I have the shmz6 version of asterisk 13.10.0-1.shmz6.x86_64 patched with the cisco-usecallmanager-13.10.0 patch:

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-13145

I have provided both an SRPM and an RPM and my notes of what was done to produce them.

To install it:
Make sure you are running version 10.13.66-15 of FreePBX:

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/FreePBX-Distro-10.13.66

Then download my asterisk13-core RPM and then simply:

fwconsole stop
rpm -Fvh --nodeps asterisk13-core-13.10.0-2.shmz6.x86_64.rpm --force
fwconsole start

I hope this helps someone! :smile:

PS: Sorry for the links not being links, I signed up just so I could post this, and it won’t let me post links because I am a new user, so you’ll have to copy/paste.

Edit by @xrobau: Fixed the links so they’re clickable. Thanks!

1 Like

Grintor,

I appreciate that you created the RPM to make it eaiser for the rest of us. I am trying to get some features working but I am running into some issues. Could you please post your sample configs? The ones that you would generate from the patch process. I noticed that you did not include them in the RPM.

Thanks!

What features are you having issues with?

Thanks for the quick response. The two features that I am trying to use are conference/joining between three phones and also video format negotiation. The resolution is too low. I know there are settings that need to be made for the cisco endpoints (9971s). I just need a point in the right direction.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Doing conferencing shouldn’t be any different than any other phone, this is a configuration on the pbx, not the phone afaik: http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Conference+Module+User+Guide

The video resolution doesn’t seem to be configurable as far as I can tell, maybe what you want is to adjust the video bitrate?

Settings -> Asterisk Sip Settings -> Chan SIP Settings -> Video Support->Enable -> Set your desired max bitrate->Save->Apply

You can also move around the priority of the video formats to see if changing the format gets you better clarity

I am able to create a conference bridge. That piece works fine. I am not able to get the process of, place call A, after connect press conference button, place call B, then press conference button to join. This piece fails. I get an error that says “Unable to complete conference” As for the video part, I was referencing this site lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-video/2011-October/003560.html but the patch needed might not be included in your fix.

Thanks again for the follow up. I thought there might be some light shed in the sample configs

Thanks for posting this…

so I tried to download and follow your instructions … however I now get a red box at the top of the GUi saying “CANNOT CONNECT TO ASTERISK”

how do i fix this?

Hey, I tried to edit my original post but it won’t let me. At the time when I wrote it, freepbx 10.13.66-15 used asterisk 13.10 and I thought specific freepbx versions were tied to specific asterisk versions. That’s not the case, and by upgrading to 10.13.66-15 you will have upgraded to the latest asterisk version at that time in the process. That means that you are running asterisk13-core at version 13.10 but all the other asterisk components are a different version. The steps above should be:

fwconsole stop
yum downgrade asterisk13*-13.10.0-*
rpm -Fvh --nodeps asterisk13-core-13.10.0-2.shmz6.x86_64.rpm --force
fwconsole start

you should also do

nano /etc/yum.conf

and add the line:

exclude=asterisk1*

This will allow you up keep freepbx up to date without asterisk upgrading

Tried to do all the above. A new version of this “rpm -Uvh mISDNuser*.rpm” can’t find. Would like to apply Cisco patch to my Freepbx testing box. Yes I will apply in working environment if it works.

Any help would be cool!

Asterisk = 13.12.1
FreePBX 13.0.190.7

Cisco 8841
11-5-1 firmware

HI

I recently updated FreePBX to 10.13.66-16 and now the patch appears to have stopped working. Is there a way i can apply it to this version or do I have to go back to the old version?

I too cannot find mISDNuser-devel… I might try editing the spec file and removing the mISDNuser requirement to see if asterisk builds (do i really need mISDN?)

Oh yes, i am trying to patch for cisco phones too.

CIsco SIP-converted phones or Cisco SCCP phones?

Chan_SCCP_B works just fine for the latter. Been doing it for years.