No email configuration in System Admin on FreePBX Distro

I’m configuring a new FreePBX Distro installation and having trouble finding the email configuration for outgoing emails. I’m following the steps in the link below but I don’t have the email option in my system admin.

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FCM/System+Admin+-+Email#SystemAdmin-Email-UseExternalSMTPServer-GMAIL

Screenshot of my system admin options

FreePBX 12.0.13
Asterisk 11.14.0

Hey Brad,
I ran into this problem also, and found alot of confusing guides when I was setting up voicemail to email for the first time with FreePBX.

I think the missing module is due to something not being installed by default (Webmin?) Anyways, you don’t want to install that anyways. Here is what you need to do to get outbound emails working

First here is the guide, then at the bottom is my working configuration files as an example

GUIDE

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/L1/Setup+Postfix+Manually

My working config using GMAIL:

[root@localhost ~]# nano /etc/postfix/main.cf

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
# Secure channel TLS with exact nexthop name match.
smtp_tls_security_level = secure
smtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = TLSv1
smtp_tls_mandatory_ciphers = high
smtp_tls_secure_cert_match = nexthop
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
relayhost = smtp.gmail.com:587

[root@localhost ~]# nano /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
smtp.gmail.com [email protected]:P@ssw0rd-here

By the way, I first tried using a GoDaddy website hosted email address as relay but after many many hours of trying different guides and not working, I decided to just make a gmail account and use that because there were lots of guides on setting up gmail. It worked with the above config, but I never got GoDaddy email working. I read somewhere that GoDaddy might not allow emails to be relayed, not sure if I just configured it wrong or what.

I did however get another FreePBX to use a HostGator hosted website email address and it worked fine as well…

2 Likes

No the email portion is part of the paid Sysadmin Pro module not in the Free version

**Let me just say that I am very disappointed in the obvious attempts by the developers to keep the information on the most standard form of notifications from the PBX under wraps in order to make you pay the tax for the “Pro version” of a simple module. **
**I’ve watch different threads over the years throughout different releases, and I see the same deny/delay tactics in every single discussion. “We don’t know if you’re using sendmail, squirrelmail, or zenmail so how are we supposed to help you? (paraphrased)”. **
The bottom line is this, If you downloaded the FREEPBX DISTRO, which most newbies with this question have, you need to lookup how to change the main.cf file on Google to accomplish your task. In my case, I use Cox Cable as my ISP, which has a dynamic IP, and my PBX is behind a firewall (Ubiquity) so I opened up Puttytel, connec ted to PBX via SSH, and typed
sudo nano /etc/postfix/main.cf
I found the “Relay hosts” section, removed the “#” and changed the server to smtp.cox.net
**then I hit ctrl-x, hit y for yes, and enter. **
**After that the outgoing email notifications from my FREEPBXv13 were flowing. **

The devs here should be ashamed for being so rude and arrogant to the very people that help to develop their product. I can only hope that the recent merger will enhance they way internal and external clients are treated in the forums.

Sorry you feel us charging for a feature is wrong of us and the thousands of features that are free are not enough.

1 Like

“Feature”? Ha! In this day-and-age, email notifications, from any electronic appliance or instrument are not considered a feature, rather an expectation.

With all this said, thank you for all the hard work you all have done over the years, but please include a simple wiki for email notifications on the FreePBX 13 Distro version.

4 Likes

Hello,

I remember email notifications worked fine in FPBX 13. I received many notifications about new module upgrades, etc. However, I cannot setup the same thing now or setup anything about email notifications in FPBX 14. Is this really true that email notifications are a paid option?

Best Regards.

No. We have email notifications on every server, and it’s free.
Email authentication in the GUI is a paid feature add-on.

Hello,

I cannot remember where I really put my email address after what I had email notifications about upgrades but I do know that it was configured via GUI. Maybe during the initial setup, I really can’t remember. I am not able to find it now. Maybe 7-8 months ago I did a distro upgrade from 13 to 14.

How do You setup email notifications?
Does this mean that email notifications for fax and voicemail will also not work which I clearly remember that it worked?

Thanks for reply.

Best Regards.

Go to Admin > Updates and enter the notification email address, it should work if you have setup the PBX to be able to send emails.

I am probably missing something then. I cannot find where to setup email except to add receivers email. Every user in the system has an email set for voicemail. The voicemail is disabled for some time but I have checked now and I dont receive any email when voicemail is recorded. I remember that this worked before by using a built in smtp or so. The email from which was sent was something@frepbx.pbx .

Can You help me find some tutorial on how to set this operational again?

Best Regards.

The wiki has literally everything you need/want to know
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/PPS/Setup+Postfix+Manually

Thank You PitzKey!

You helped a lot.

Best Regards.

1 Like