Need For Swap Space?

A recent update has FreePBX whining about swap space. How important is swap space to FreePBX? I ask because I am using RasPBX on a Raspberry Pi 2. I can create swap space but it’s going to be in-memory swap space anyway. So is there any point?

Ok. Kind of a generic OS answer. I was thinking more about FreePBX only but now that you prompt me, we are running a web server which would throw this into the generic OS operation realm. I’m seeing other RasPBX users go ahead and up their swap space instead of disabling. So I will too.

Andrew:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/70/how-to-set-up-swap-space

Specifically:

You should not enable swap on the Raspberry Pi.
Although it is possible, it is not useful. Even on a class 10 SDHC card,
it is just too slow. Also you will reduce the lifespan of the SD card.

Which is what I thought the answer should be for a Raspberry Pi. So I think the swap complaint from FreePBX is generic and not applicable to this platform.

Yes however the Raspberry Pi is not a supported platform.

Well supported or not I’m totally happy with RasPBX.

Then either ignore the warnings or set up swapspace in RAM, which IMHO would only be of marginal effect. If you only have a couple of calls concurrent then you won’t be needing it. (your sd card will break soon though so have a backup :wink: )

There should be a setting in Advanced settings to disable the no swap warning message.
My Freepbx system has not had swap for 7 years. Here is one way to remove the notice:

sudo mysql
use asterisk;
UPDATE freepbx_settings SET value = 'PBXact UCC' WHERE keyword = 'DASHBOARD_FREEPBX_BRAND';
truncate table notifications;

what the above does is connect to mysql as user root using unix socket.
selects the asterisk database.
changes the brand from FreePBX to PBXact UCC.
truncates notifications table which clears out any existing notifications, new ones can still be created.

The reason this works is the check for swap space is bypassed if the brand is PBXact UCC, which just goes to show that even FreePBX is aware that there are times when you don’t need to be checking for swap.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.