How to install and configure Freepbx with cisco ip phone 7940

hello my friend

I have 3 Cisco IP phone I upload the software for Cisco to /tftpboot and restart the Cisco to factory

and it’s keep tell me configure vlan and requesting configure and after that it say time out tftp

any idea
I installed latest version from PBX 5.211 asterisk 11 .

Thanks & Regards

They require some fairly specific .xml files for configuration - search around, there are several articles that detail how to configure them, but you will also need to be running SIP software on them (they are defaulted to skinny protocol) and the SIP software is fairly hard to get anymore (Cisco does not make them easily available).

The Schmooze commercial Endpoint Manager says it supports them here:

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FCM/EPM-Supported+Devices

But I have not tried it - I never liked them much on SIP and never spent enough time to get skinny going well enough to say either way.

Greg

1 Like

Thanks @GSnover i had install it and it’s work perfectly
Thanks for your reply

It sounds like @D34DlyM4N (type that 3 times fast!) got them working, but it is worth pointing out for anyone searching the archives that the 7940/7960 don’t use XML for their configuration files (at least under SIP). That is the 7941/7961. The 7940/7960 use a SIPDefault.cnf file and the SIP.cnf file (where is the unit’s MAC address without colons). One exception is that some SCCP builds may look for the XMLDefault.cnf.xml to determine which software to load, but you can always keep an eye on the tftp log messages to see what files are requested by the phone.

You also need to either manually define the TFTP server in the phone’s configuration or configure your DHCP server to hand out that information. I had generally found that the “tftp-server-name” option worked well, but while upgrading some phones in the last year or so I found that some of the SCCP builds required the “voip-tftp-server” option.

I think these are great phones and are currently a steal at refurbished prices, considering what you get. I think we have around 80 out there and they work really well.

Tom

PS: Does anyone have a good solution to keep these phones from taking forever to boot? They take a long time to timeout (presumably) while “configuring VLAN” in both boot stages, adding a lot of time to a power cycle. We rarely need to power cycle, but it is annoying.

1 Like

This was always an OLD firmware problem - once we had them updated to the current, they worked fine. That was also using SIP - never played with skinny.

1 Like

Odd. Maybe they are better now. I have noticed that some of our branch offices are quicker, but maybe it’s just that all of them are fine and we just reboot them so infrequently that I stopped noticing.

Just remembered another oddity with these phones: FreePBX default password length is longer than what they support. You must make it shorter, though I do not remember the maximum length.

EDIT: THe maximum password length is 31 characters for these phones, but FreePBX generates a 32-character password by default. Just remove one character from the FreePBX-generated password and it will work fine.

This may not me entirely religiously correct, but the chan-sccp-b project is actively supporting (like new versions of the “-dev” trunk every couple of days) these phones in skinny mode. I won’t use them with the SIP firmware loaded; there are just too many features that are broken or completely unsupported. I’ve helped rewrite a lot of the instructions for using these phones and setting up the configurations. I have literally hundreds of SCCP 7940, 7960, and 7960+7914 phone connected to systems all over the local area. With the advent of database driven options, these phones are becoming even simpler to configure and use.

Using the SCCP protocol also avoids all of the SIP password problems, so that’s another plus.

Thanks for all i had setting them and they worked perfectly

Thanks again