External extension audio issues

We have been running our system for several months. Most extensions seem to work fine, except a few. We are on FreePBX 5.211.65-21. We have NAT=Yes set in SIP settings and have the Bind Port set to 5160.

Some users work from home, so they have their own computer setup with whatever ISP. One user is having intermittent audio issues. The main issue is no outbound audio. They can hear the remote part, but the remote party cannot hear them. This does not happen all the time, but it does happen often.

Our FreePBX system is NAT’d behind a firewall. Like I said we have 20+ users without issues.

This problem person is working from home using ameritech.net and a 2WIRE modem. They are plugged directly into the modem. I can change the extension NAT setting from Yes to No, but I don’t think this will matter.

I have seen google stuff that mentions ALG on the 2WIRE modem, and that it should be disabled. Before I mess with this person’s modem I’d like to get any feedback from others on this issue, and if there is any other potential solution I am not seeing.

Off the top of my head, I would say the external callers need to check the ports in their routers. I am not sure how you will forward ports to a device if they are using Dynamic IPs, maybe they are static IPs? If this is the case, port forward the correct ports to the phone.

One way audio is always a NAT/PORT issue. It would also not hurt to try and turn off ALG.