Does the distro have all the drivers for the Intel NUC?

Would love to use one of these things, but not sure if CentOS supports the newer chipsets it uses. Anyone have luck with this?

You can see if these instructions translate over…

We have 3 FreePBX distro boxes on Intel NUCs and have had no problems. I created a bootable USB from the FreePBX ISO using UNetbootin and installed from there. Didn’t have to add or change anything.

Doug

1 Like

Thanks Doug. Were you able to do raid1 on those little boxes? I’m thinking two little SSDs doing raid1 would be perfect.

You can but most only have room for one regular ssd on the msata slots, (the other is too short) so you would need a half-sized one for that, the catch 22 is that you can’t secure a half-size device on the other msata so closely matching both drives might need some searching, but some have also a sata interface and space for a 2.5" drive also.

We are not doing RAID on these. We image the box, do regular backups and have a standby available. All voicemail goes to email so there is not much outside of the configurations to backup. If one were to fail, we blow the image on a new box, restore the backup and go.

Can you connect a POTS analog trunk to one of those NUC’s ?

Not directly they have available external/internal usb and internal msata ports, You can use Astribanks from Xorcom over USB to connect several hundred though.

I have one in production use running asterisk13/freepbx12 without any issue. I’m about to have another.

Or maybe one of these ?
http://www.sangoma.com/products/usbfxo/
(Shameless plug for sponsor’s product.)

Then why did you ask?, shamelessly plugging anything surely requires shamelessly using one first successfully, have you done that yet? , if you haven’t then your post is as yet shameful , no ? :slight_smile: . I have never used one but Sangoma stuff is generally rock-solid, the Xorcom stuff is also rock-solid and has worked for years and is core in the dahdi code.

I asked, because I woz searching for possible solution/s.
I’ve never used Xorcom stuff, and it seems way too big-enterprise for my needs.

When I found the small Sangoma usbfxo device, I thought it worthwhile to share with anybuddy else who might be interested in this thread.
YMMV if you’re disinterested.

Personally, I’ve long believed that usb (Un Suitable for Broadband) is sub-optimal for permanently connected networking generally. Perhaps that prejudice is not longer valid with USB version/s >= 2.
If the Sangoma usbfxo is cheap enough, I could be temped to give one a try, with a NUC or similar.

Prejudice will always keep you in the domain of the unenlightened, USB 3.0 on the NUC’s work at 5GBs the Xorcom/Sangoma probably both work at 480Mbs (USB 2.0) , It really is just mathematics. Do you have a +480Mbs connection to your ISP, if you do then perhaps your 5000th concurrent call might cause problems, the NUC will not be your limiting factor.

We all notice FanBoyZ (brown-nosers), it really doesn’t work in the real world, just please post your solid experiences the rest is just smoke and unhelpful to others.

bgroper, I didn’t see your question until this morning. No, we use SIP trunks with all of our Asterisk/FreePBX boxes.

Doug

The NUC I’m looking at has room for both an SSD or a 2.5" spinning drive. Any thoughts on reliability with freepbx? I’m a little worried that all the asterisk log writing will wear out an SSD quickly, but not sure if today’s generation of SSDs have this limitation anymore.

I’m also looking at the HP Microserver but that seems way overkill.

my desktop machine is a nuc, it has one vm running asterisk and another running a plex server and another running windoze. it all on a 128g ssd. no problems in two years.

What nuc models handle how many sip sessions? across how many sip trunks?

I’m looking on Amazon at this: Intel NUC NUC5CPYH, It’s a 1.6G Celeron and it looks like it has the room for the drive and everything. Since this will be a purpose-built machine for FreePBX and nothing else, you think it’ll fly? I’m running a few Raspberry Pi’s, but I need to try some add-on modules that seem to not run on the debian linux on RasPBX. Any tips, tricks, advice, flamethrowers?