Cordless Outdoor Handset

I’ve been using FreePBX for awhile now and love it. All our needs have been office phones so far, we have been using Digium D50 and D40 phones so far and love them. I now have a need for an outdoor cordless unit, it would be perfect if it were waterproof and a little rugged like this unit (Panasonic KX-TD7696). What would I need with this unit to make it work on our Asterisk FreePBX system? I’m guessing I need this phone with some type of base station? I’m open to other suggestions and details about cordless phones and or base stations.

I would also like to point out this will be the only unit at this location, so I don’t need a fancy base station that will pair with multiple units.

If you already have phones you like with the features required ( analog ) I would say you should simply add a Cisco ATA. This will work great.
There aren’t too many VoIP handsets that are portable. I have used a few DECT and traditional wireless phones that have base units that are voip and they basically are doing the same thing as buying the ATA for an existing phone. We also tried a couple of Wifi phones which could be another solution depending on your WiFi coverage of that area.

We do not have a cordless option right now, so we would need a cordless VOIP solution. If I understand correctly I’m looking for a DECT solution that would work well in an outdoor environment.

Hello @waterboy550,

You could purchase a Standard wireless phone and use an ATA to make it VoIP, or purchase something which is made and sold by a VoIP manufacturer, just don’t don’t have as many options.

I purchased this Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058FJLBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I looked into it and people said it worked with Asterisk and FreePBX, so I guess I’ll give it a shot.