AsteriskNow/Freepbx and SSD problems

I’ve got Asterisknow/freepbx running on a zotac mini-pc on an SSD card.

It seems about every 6 months, the machine locks up. I have to drive to the machine and power it down (which generally fixes it). The reboot fixes it for another few months, even though the indications with errrors seem to be hard drive related.

Not much info online about the problem, but a bit of reading indicates that maybe asterisk isn’t well suited for running on SSD drives? I guess the question I’m asking is, is the problem I’m experiencing likely SSD physical related, or asterisk related? i.e. if I switch to a different SSD, will I correct the problem? Or should I roll back to a physical drive?

I run all of my Asterisk machines on SSDs. There is no generic problem.

I’d have a look what is on the screen of the machine when it’s crashed. Normally when a disk fails the machine stays UP (eg, will respond to pings) but other things start to fail.

If the entire machine is hard hung, AND if you’re using a M2-esque SSD card (not a SATA attached one) AND you still feel it’s the SSD then I’d be replacing the SSD card, or, just going back to a SSD attached with SATA.

Thanks for the assurance. Normally the machine hangs with some type of file corruption type error - like mysql will just turn to a stone. Rebooting and a bit of fsck work brings the machine back to life. But I’m getting tired of emergency drives to the data center.
If SSDs are good, I’ll just go get a new SSD then.

1 Like

Rob’s experience is more extensive than mine, but the one server I had that did this had a bad RAM stick.

As a precaution, try running a standalone memtest on the server and see if the RAM reports “error free”.

1 Like

So I rebooted yesterday and got things working again. Today, here’s the error I get at the admin panel:

fatal error updating freepbx_settings table
Trace Back/var/www/html/admin/libraries/freepbx_conf.class.php:949 die_freepbx()
0: fatal error updating freepbx_settings table
/var/www/html/admin/libraries/freepbx_conf.class.php:301 freepbx_conf->commit_conf_settings()
/var/www/html/admin/bootstrap.php:94 freepbx_conf->parse_amportal_conf()
0: /etc/amportal.conf
[1]: /etc/freepbx.conf:9 require_once()

/var/www/html/admin/config.php:99 include_once()

Any way I can recover this remotely, even temporarily until I can get some new hardware? I’m not clear where to start, normally I hard boot the machine but it’s 2 hour drive away.

fwconsole util tablefix

1 Like