Asterisk restarting for no apparent reason

Hello!

I’m a relatively new admin on FreePBX/Asterisk. Last Friday, Asterisk restarted mid-day and dropped all calls (about 25).

I went through the FULL log, and saw where the system restarted, but didn’t see any reason why.

Any ideas?

Asterisk 13, FreePBX 13 on Centos 6.6

What Asterisk version?

My experience with this is bad ram. If you can find and run ‘memtest86’ or ‘memtest64’, I’d start there. If you find the one from the NetBSD website, it’s a bootable image that you can run that just runs the test.

I’ve only ever had two systems that would randomly restart like this - the first had a bad RAM stick in upper RAM (and would only crash after 30+ hours running) and the second was a config file error in one of my Chan-SCCP-B implementations.

The first one was fixed by replacing the RAM - the system hasn’t auto-restarted in two years.
The second one included a message from the author of the channel driver that basically said “How did you set that - it’s impossible to do that.”

Since this is a new install, I’d recommend a memtest first.

Hi Lorne,

Thanks for your reply!

Asterisk version is 13.9.0.

Robert

Hi Dave,

The system itself does not restart, only asterisk. :frowning:

I have more data since I started this post that I will add to the main thread.

Robert

I know that, and I agree. The bad instruction error would restart Asterisk, just like you’re describing.

I would look in /var/log/messages for when and why Asterisk died.

1 Like

Ok, so I think I know what’s happening now. The issue is with Asterisk 13.9.0. Apparently this has been fixed in Asterisk 13.10.

How did you figure out, post the ticket.

I found the data in the release notes for Asterisk 13.10.

Here’s what I was seeing on the system: Every couple of days I would get reports of lots of people losing calls all at once. When I would check FULL log, I would see that asterisk had restarted itself.

I also started finding core dump files that corresponded to the times when calls dropped.

By way of an update, installing asterisk 13.10 handled the issue.

Hi astbox,

Here’s what I was seeing on the system: Every couple of days I would get reports of lots of people losing calls all at once. When I would check FULL log, I would see that asterisk had restarted itself.

I also started finding core dump files that corresponded to the times when calls dropped.

Installing asterisk 13.10 handled the issue.

Hello Robert. I have the same issue since a couple of weeks ago. (I am using our current version which is 13.9). However, i was cheching the changelog and release version and I cannot see this fix. Can you give me the reference of this issue and how they solved it? Thanks.

Hey Jose,

Note, I’ve since had to revert back to Asterisk 11 due to other issues with queues and the way it transfers calls.

Here’s what I found on Asterisk 13.10:

Source: http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-13.10.0-summary.html
Category: CDR/cdr_custom

ASTERISK-26054: Asterisk crashes (core dump)
Reported by: B. Davis
[321a9b128f] Joshua Colp – res_odbc: Implement a connection pool.

Regards,

Robert