Asterisk 13 install

I quess i may be installing a new distro of free PBX soon.
I’ll give you a brief summary of what i have done so that your responce will direct me If i Have caused any harm to My system or if I can correct this and
learn a few things about Asterisk 13 with the ability to toggle back and forth between
PBX 12 distro running asterisk 11 and asterisk 13.

I have installed Asterisk 13 on a system that is currently running pbx 12/asterisk 11.
My intention was to take 13 for a test drive and learn a litttle about straight asterisk.
We all now 13 is not yet stable with pbx 12. as I was not wanting to test that pottion

So You may not be supprised but once i loaded pbx 12 the Apply button was red
at that point i new i had my work cut out for me.

The error i recieve

[FATAL] Unable to connect to Asterisk Manager from /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf, aborting

[root@localhost jeff-405]# ls -l /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 asterisk asterisk 37356 Jul 3 20:22 /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf

ls -l /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf

-rwxrwxr-x. 1 asterisk asterisk 37356 Jul  3 20:22 /var/lib/asterisk/bin/retrieve_conf

The methood i used to install asterisk 13 here
http://blogs.digium.com/2015/02/24/install-asterisk-13-pjsip-centos-6/

Can you please respond with your expertise or feedback

You should have never installed from source. We have “asterisk-version-switch” for this exact reason. You can change asterisk versions on the fly and it takes all of 1 minute.

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FD/Changing+Major+Asterisk+Versions+on+the+Fly

I just read that page about 5 min ago and switched back to 11
but still have issues.
Would you say i will now have to reinstall everything and that if i would like to try 13
to just run asterisk-version-switch to be a safe way?

yes - thats the ticket

By the way the ticket is Asterisk 13 Install
Not A Blind Statement how do you wish for me to follow?

I’m not sure every one has their duck’s in a row here @Jeff_504 never said he was using “the distro”, my read is that he wasn’t, so the version-switch thing probably wouldn’t work for him as it is almost certainly specific to “the distro”.

One can download the source for most any version of asterisk past 1.8, compile and appropriately install it, FreePBX should pick up WTF you did. That would not disturb your working FreePBX in any way apart from a couple of 1.8+ trivia like callback.

If you get that wrong, then you can download the tarball of various FreePBI and run the install script, add the -h switch and you will see you have options to reinstall , deinstall, select your level etc. (perhaps not in the latest version unfortunately)

Either way take an off-site backup of your system before you “mess” with anything as a precaution.

Please DO NOT confuse FreePBX with the “FreePBX distro”, so far FreePBX works as advertised on most lini systems.

I might have that confused, I thought i was using distro i will check out the difference and get back with you
Jeff

If you were , you should have posted in the “Distro” forum not “general help” there are very distinct differences.

If you use the “distro” then @tm1000’s advise would generally be unimpeachable.

Please re-phrase a lower command
advise would generally be unimpeachable.
6 dogs in a hat what what?

I get it now
thanks

I would choose number three.